A little ride to the pumpkin patch.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Living

I suppose when you buy a house there will always be surprises. We are trying to manage them. Like the Asian ladybugs. A musty smell in one bedroom. A frustrating oven. A toilet that has caused floor damage. Windows that are, let's just say old. Not related to the house but related to the move, planning for the likely school change next year (I am not doing well with this). And, completely unrelated to the move, a computer crashing.

Despite the troubles, we are loving the place.

I get to cook and clean in a kitchen that is open and sunny and looks out over the beautiful back yard. I get to have a friend over for each child and not feel overwhelmed because of the tight space. We can lay out homework on the dining-room table (currently a fold up card table) and not have to put it away in order to set the table for dinner. We have a whole room for the computer, which means my bedroom isn't a partial office. I will get to set up my sewing machine next to the computer (they have great chemistry) and it can be accessible always! This means pants get fixed and much more quickly! Rejoice! Our storage unit (aka "my summer home") no longer holds our extras...our basement does. Tool boxes go in the garage, not the kids' closet. A piano in the living room, not a bedroom. The list goes on!

It's been a whirlwind experience buying a home, moving in, setting up. I'm ready to finish the organizing and settle in so that it's only "regular" life to worry about. But I don't know...as my friend's blog title says, maybe "crazy is the new normal." I wouldn't be surprised!

4 comments:

The Allreds said...

sorry for the trials but happy for the wonderful parts of your move!

Heidi said...

Way to survive, Katie. Just keep thinking how nice it is to have all that space....even if it's not up to date, decorated, painted, etc.....it's space! Besides, you are such Suzy Homemaker that you'll have it the way you want it in no time. Already, the paint and other updates look awesome! And it's not just the paint...YOU'RE awesome! Love ya!

kim said...

I am so coming up to see all the amazingness this summer! Only 6 weeks of school (read: seminary) left!

Just one tall girl named Laurel said...

Woot! Thanks for the shout out! :) Congrats on the new place! If you ever want me to remind you all the horrid things about rented living, I'm happy to do so... Why, just this week our bathroom drain gave out. Can't fix it ourselves, can't get the landlords to return any calls... GOOD TIMES! For all the headaches, it's YOUR place-- that's gotta feel great... even when those darn Asian ladybugs attack (do they do martial arts?)