Since the birth of spring, we have had some fun experiences with the nature around us.
Frogs and toads. I think we've only seen toads so far. They are so cute and quite small. Thus far they are only exciting and not pests. I did have to repeatedly watch for one while I was cutting the grass. (This is where I hear they become pests.)
Caterpillars of all kinds. We managed to fry two in a jar...someone forgot their mother's warning. But they are lots of fun.
Mini crawfish? We have some standing water (I know, great for mosquitoes) at the edge of the driveway by the road. Andrew caught some weird little crawfish things swimming around in there. They were the size of my ring fingernail and were a strange very light tan translucent color. We kept three in a jar for a few days and they ended up shedding their "skins". Someday I will have to find out what they were.
Of course we have seen of bunnies and squirrels. I love the Midwest and the rabbits around--so far I haven't had a garden out for them to ruin. (In Iowa ours was fenced in.) So we're still friends.
Birds! We've found two nests that are eye level or lower. How lucky! One has a single egg in it, but my fear is it won't hatch. It's been there a while. BUT, we have another nest that is on the ground among some flowers and it had five eggs. Now it has five baby birds. They are precious! So tiny and wow, can they open those beaks wide looking for a morsel from Mom. We frequently see her hopping through the flower bed to feed the babies.
The perennials coming up have been wonderful! I love having such a variety of plants and flowers! We pick them frequently and enjoy them inside. Of course the girls love this. I do, however, need an education on how to take care of all of them. And the trees too.
Speaking of trees, we have two evil ones. They literally have 2 inch spikes covering every branch. They all point somewhat downward--aiming directly at us. They are freaky and Daniel thinks they would be great in some scary fairytale. He's right.
Next time I get around to the camera I will try to get some related pictures up. But this is all I have energy for tonight!
3 comments:
you beat me to it...I was going to ask, so where are the pictures? : ) I had fun reading about your tales and just be happy you're NOT mowing up rattlesnakes : )
happy spring/summer!
Great Post!, Love it
Nick
Springy fun!! It's simply not as fun a season change out here in CA. You know, where you can sense a change in the air, the critters are decidedly out to celebrate, the flowers and trees all change... Miss that about the east coast, too. Sounds like lots of fun! (minus the evil trees)
Post a Comment