A little ride to the pumpkin patch.

Monday, April 6, 2009

try this in 6 months

For General Conference (for friends who aren't LDS, General Conference is a broadcast from SLC where our church leaders speak, several 2-hour sessions, over a weekend. Members watch it in person, on cable at home, or at church buildings) this year I tried something new. My friend, Holly makes a list of words, and has a small snack/trail mix type item for each word. The kids listen to the talks and collect snack items as they go. I took a "bingo" game, cut it up, and attached snacks for each word.

Seriously. My kids listened for two hours straight. They LOVED it! I've never had such success in keeping kids occupied for this event. And they were actually listening, instead of just being distracted with other activities. Definitely doing it again next year!



5 comments:

Sarah Norton said...

My kids are a little old but I am still trying this next time!!! Fantastic idea!!!! Maybe I'll play along too!

DeAnn said...

I thought about doing something like that (a treat for hearing a key word--I like the bingo board though) but never got around to it. I'll have to do it in 6 months for sure. Thanks for the tip and testimonial.

Heidi said...

Very cool! We just had Ashley color the bingo squares...but I can tell your idea would've lasted muuuuuuch longer. Remind me about this in 6 months, k?

The Allreds said...

Cute idea! Have you had them draw each speaker? You have an outline of a head and the podium (make LOTS of copies), the children fill in the face, hair, outfit. It's pretty fun. I thought since I gleened and idea from you I aught to share one : ) Hugs to you!

Cynthia said...

Great idea! You will have to send me a reminder about this idea the last week of September so that I won't forget to try it. :)