Family and friends,
Do you get the flu shot? Do your kids? Why or why not? I don't think I did growing up but now it seems to be the thing to do! Do they really work? Please, share your wisdom.
the Mom
Friday, October 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
on the years that we've received the flu shot, we've gotten the flu.
on the years we don't, we don't.
call it what you like, but we will not be joining the ranks this year!
Steve got a flu shot one year - when I got the flu he bragged "Ha ha, I won't get sick, I got a flu shot" - but then HE got the flu. They just try to predict which strains or which viruses will be present that season - it's not an exact science. We don't ever get flu shots - it didn't seem to help (but it's not the same as a specific vaccination, like the H1N1 or something.) I think I'd only get one if I was already ill or fragile and getting the flu posed a big risk or something...just my 2 cents which may be hogwash :)
Growing up I never got the shot. The only year I got the shot (a few years ago) I got the shot and got the flu anyway. My husband gets it every year since he is a health care provider and doesn't seem to get it. I am on the fence about the swine flu vaccine except I am pregnant and it is supposed to be really dangerous for me so I am considering it very carefully.
GET THEM.
We always got flu shots growing up. I will always get one, and make Carly and Casey get one too. I think it's worth it!
My vote is no! Basically they take common strains from the previous flu season and try to predict what strain will be most common in the upcoming season, which obviously results in not getting the exact strain that is out there THIS season. My experience in the health care field has proved it time and time again that people who get the flu shot end up getting the flu the same amount or MORE than people who didn't get the shot. Even if it's free, I don't get it...and I've never had my kids or hubby get it either. Even the years I worked in the hospital I didn't get the shot. Anyway, that's more than two cents...but you happened to tap into something I have an opinion about. Ha! That being said, it's just an opinion...from your designated Stewart Family RN. ;)
I don't know what happened to my first post, but I'm not getting the flu shot. My family has never gotten the flu shot and we have never really gotten the flu. I've considered it this year, since I'm teaching. But through my research I've decided against it because I found out what everyone else has-if you get the shot, you're probably going to get the flu. My school hasn't pushed the shot- just washing hands CONSTANTLY, coughing/sneezing into your elbow, not touching mouth or face unless you've washed your hands, etc. Seems to be working well so far ;)
Jason gets it every year at work. My kids have the past several years. I have had one in my life and never will again.
This year I'm thinking DEFINITELY no on swine and a maybe on reg. flu for the kiddos.
PS. flu shots do not protect against stomach flu. We learned that in'07-Thanksgiving night.
I've gotten them every year for the past 4 years or so and I think they work. I haven't had the flu at all during this time period.
But, more importantly, I love your new family picture in your header! Your kids are adorable!
maybe I am nuts but I rarely get the flu (even tho I did a week ago). I don't want to introduce something that may impact my "steel curtain" immune system. why fix something that isn't broke?
The swine flu is less virulent than the regular flu. It's all hype. Our doctor is not recommending the swine flu shot to his patients or his family. Also not sure about this new vaccine's safety. Love you!
My kids have never had one and so far they don't get sick. This year everyone is talking about the swine flu and they will be offering at Anthony's school in a couple weeks. I'm still not decided on it.
WOW! This has definitely been the topic of discussion. Robert sells the flu vaccine and he knows how to sell it to doctors but for me....the bottom line is, I don't believe in them. It really is a guessing game as to what strain it will be. So my kids have never gotten the shot but we've gotten the flu once or twice and were just fine. Infact, Katie and I had the swine flu in August while I was in my second trimester of pregnancy. And now that I am in my 3rd trimester, my OB wants me to get the swine vaccine and I've decided not to get it. My opinion is, (and it's just my opinion), it's all a hype! Getting the flu isn't the worse thing in the world! I survived the swine pregnant. Hopefully I don't get it again but I'm willing to take that chance than to get the shot. So anyways, that might have been more info than you wanted but let me know what you decide. Hope all is well with you guys!!
Awesome family picture that I took!! :) Not sure about the flu shots myself.
Thanks guys...appreciate the thoughts.
All I have to say is "Oh my heck, it's okay to be sick!" It's actually good for our immune systems to experience illness, especially as kids. I think it's ridiculous how people are freaking out. Most of the complications happen in people who are already immuno-comprimised in some manner. For normal, healthy people, it's normal and healthy to be sick every once in a while!
Most of the flu shots do contain mercury as a preservative (among lots of other crap you don't really want to be injecting into your body on a yearly basis) even though they banned thermosol (mercury) in vaccinations a few years ago. I guess the flu shot doesn't matter.
As for H1N1, once you have it, you have immunity to it (natural, life-long immunity) and, in my opinion, that is way better than a shot and way better as far as safety if the virus actually does mutate into something worse down the line like some people are saying. I hope we have either already had it or get it soon so we will have immunity.
And, oh my heck again, your new family picture is sooooooo adorable and soooooo The Stewarts!
Wow, Katie....a lot of comments. I tend to believe my doctors and medical research who reccomend the vaccine. But I don't go out of my way to get it...I don't have time and take my chances. They say it will only protect you from about 70% of the strains and only flu...not 24 hour stomache bugs. I do want the H1N1 vaccine. Why be sick and miserable for a week if you don't have to? Tons of my students have had it and I hope I don't come down with it. It is very contageous, even if not as severe as once thought...it is still not fun and a few healthy kids are dying from random bacterial infections that follow H1N1.
Post a Comment