A little ride to the pumpkin patch.

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Gospel Gallery of Art

I was recently called to be the second counselor in primary, which means I'm in charge of the quarterly activities for kids 3-12 years old. Yesterday was our first.

I used an idea from a while back when I played "Art Gallery" with my kids and some friends...I wrote about it here. We took out the whole "buying and selling" part, added in gospel themes for each art medium, put in an "art library" for kids to look at art related books, added "paint pallets" ...anyway...here's what it looked like:

Salt dough
Eliza made a bird

The pictures above and below show the palates the kids had. Each time they did a project they got a paper "paint spot" that correlated with that project.

Watercolors

Mosaics

This was a group project where we built the "city of Zion" out of a variety of cardboard boxes. Boy, were the kids creative!

Bio Paints---paint dribbled in the crease, fold, press, and you get awesome creations!

Marble painting, so fun

Phew! Keeping busy!

Abby begins at mosaics

Ah, Eliza's bird

I read a couple books to wind down after work time was over.
Then the kids and their parents walked the hall where we hung all their works of art!









Thanks to great ideas from the rest of the presidency, lots of prep from them, and lots of people coming to help in each station, we all had fun and the activity was a success!




And to top it off, BYU beat Oklahoma later that night!

6 comments:

The Allreds said...

WOW...see I knew you were the one to ask when I had questions about my teaching position this year! That's amazing to see the finished projects at the Art Gallery! Just loved that!! Are the bio paints really called that or is it just tempera? Do you squirt it on regular or special paper? That's a LOT to fit into one activity...my hat is off to you!

Unknown said...

That looks like an AMAZING activity!!! How fun for the kids...and a lot of work for the leaders! I'm sure they'll remember that for a long time to come!

Yours, Mine, &, Crazy Daisy said...

I remember around 3:10! Ugh! I knew it was going to be a good one! Oh well. Just don't tell my kids what they missed out on! Great job, Katie and crew! ;D

Heidi said...

Katie, you are amazing! Seriously. And smiling through it all. Oh, nice apron, btw. What a great activity.

Robyn said...

I'm DeAnn's sister-in-law, and saw this activity on her blog--I'm totally going to steal this idea for my YW!

Unknown said...

LOVE this idea Katie! Going to file it in the back of my head!