It's not really about the calories.
I posted a comment a while back about us not having eaten Mac 'n' cheese or fish sticks for dinner in months. Though eating healthier has been an added benefit, the whole thing is really about meal planning.
I've always dragged with planning meals and shopping trips. But after 10 years of marriage I'm finally figuring it out. Inspired by the planning and couponing of a a couple friends and relatives I decided I had to get in on it. I now plan my week's meals on Tuesday. I use the grocery store's ads (which I used to recycle without even a glance) to plan according to sales and I also plan according to coupons I've saved. These things may save us a little money, but the real benefit is that they give me some structure; a place to start. I then shop on Wednesday (to take advantage of double coupon day), and my week is set. All the way until next Wednesday. Eliza and I also make a routine out of our Wednesday activities and it's been a really fun routine. I am so much less stressed! Honestly, I don't know how I did it before. Actually I do...grouchy, irritable, and frantic. See why it was a good change!? Oh! I also plan enough food or the right kinds of meals during the week so Daniel can take leftovers to work. So the real savings is him not having to buy lunch so often. I can't imagine going into this new school year without having this plan in place. So let's hear it for the farewell to Kraft's blue box!
5 comments:
It really is the only way to do it! Stress-free! No more wondering what to make for dinner at 3pm, only to think of something then not have all the ingredients!
I'm so glad you shared your tips with us! I have been trying to work on meal planning for a long time and it never sticks for me.
The only question I have now is... "How do you get your kids to eat what you want to make for dinner?"
Keep talking, Katie. I need motivation. Imagine that I don't have a set plan and have to feed eight (sometimes it seems like 12 when you figure in two bottomless pit teenage boys). I know...nuts! Your post piqued my interest. Now let's see if I can actually act on it! Way to go, Katie!
Patty
Way to go, YOU! It really does make you more free, doesn't it! Now all you have to do is cc me on your menu every week. :) Actually, I would honestly love a list of what you've served the past month...or two weeks. I'll do the same if you want.....eh?
What? No more running through the store at the end of a long day, starving and hectic, and then getting home and realizing you now have zucchini and cinnamon bread and frozen yogurt for dinner? No more nights of rushing in the door with takeout Chinese exactly 4.7 seconds before your dinner guests show up because you had no time to shop and cook? No more crazy dinners cobbled together with random cupboard and fridge contents like tomato soup, tortillas with butter and peas? Hmmmm... interesting... I'm listening, sensei.
Post a Comment