A little ride to the pumpkin patch.

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Where's the beef?


Usually when I get my ground beef I skip over these tube packages. Last I saw them (in Iowa) they were only the 80/20 variety. I'm not so much into 80/20--especially when I got a batch that had unnervingly LARGE chunks of fat in them. Anywho, a few days ago the big 93/7 caught my eye! And the price? Only 2 bucks a pound! I usually only see 80/20 at such a price. Now here's the kicker. The bulk pack in the nice black plastic tray was $3.59 a pound. Wow. That's a huge difference! So I asked the meat guy, what gives? Is the meat the same? He said it's packaging--that $3.59 covers the nice plastic. The expensive variety also has more preservatives. However, the meat in the tubes is ground, vacuum-packed, and doesn't need the preservatives. It was worth asking, eh? So, now I can buy 93/7 at the price that 80/20 usually is. That was an amazing discovery. So, go enjoy your beef and save a few bucks! Oh, oh! The best part is I don't have to separate it into 1 pound baggies for the freezer. Did you think you'd get to read so much about ground beef today!? Lucky you.

P.S. Get this deal at your local Wal-mart meat department.

1 comments:

Heidi said...

Very exciting! I, too, have been a tubed-meat-passer-upper. So thanks for raising awareness. :) Oh, and thanks for shopping at Wal-Mart! :)